Saturday, April 27, 2013

Edinburgh Castle and the Zoo -- July 15


The Edinburgh Castle is enormous. You really cannot tell just how big it is from the pictures you must experience it for yourself. By the way, ordering your tickets online and then picking them up from the machine at the castle saves many minutes of standing in a queue to purchase tickets. Waiting in queues is the English way however. Do be sure to pick up the audio guide it makes the journey through the castle much more enjoyable and informative. I will let the pictures do the talking for me about the castle. I just cannot do it justice.

From the castle we went to the Edinburgh Zoo. Every zoo that I have been in has it's own character or personality. This zoo was very different from others I have visited. The Edinburgh Zoo is older than many I have been too. The habitat's are smaller and the space between exhibits is much less than in  "modern" zoos. It's built on a very large hill which for some would be challenge in itself. Many of the pathways are quite long and steep. Attending often or working here would tend to keep you in shape. I would say in general zoos outside the US let you get "closer" to the animals. Some you can nearly reach out and touch. It is very rewarding to see animals that closely. Pictures of some of the animals we observed are posted on Facebook.

I really enjoy zoos because they allow me to see animals I would never be able to see during my life time in their natural setting. It's a kind of safari that takes you around the world in just a few short hours or in days if you prefer. Where else could you see zebras and American bison within on a few hundred feet of only another. Zoos are amazing windows into our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment