Saturday, March 14, 2009

Alexandria Library Mar 14


This is a short entry from the Library in Alexandria, Egypt actually using one of their computers. The library is truly amazing both inside and out. A reading room that will accomodate 2000 persons sitting and reading. I have no idea how many computers there are but many. There is a printing press that will allow you to select a book from the library online, print it (up to 500 pages) in twenty minutes then send it to your via
Fedex. At least that's it's capability. The library is still working out some copyright issues with publishers but they are very close. Getting here was an adventure but then that is another story and will post that later.

The library is also working on a project to create an archive of all web pages since 1995. Truly an amazing undertaking. Of course it probably won't really include all web pages because the "filter" on the web monitoring software won't let me access gmail for some reason.

Since I'm have difficulties get my laptop to charge I thought I would take advantage of this time and the availability of a machine to post a quick update. I will add a couple of pictures when I next get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment