Friday, June 21, 2013

June 19 -- The London Eye, Harrods

On the 18th I purchased tickets for Kay and I go on the London Eye. Our tickets were for 11 AM on the 19th. We had a leisurely breakfast this morning and took our time about getting going since our time was late. It was a warm day, 70s but high humidity. We went to the "4D" Experience when we arrived at the Eye. It was interesting. It was free you don't have to have a ticket for the Eye to see the 4D Experience. After this was over we went to the queue to go on the eye. Our tickets were scanned and then we get up to security and they ask if you have any knives. I tell them I have a pocket knife. Since my knife has a blade that locks in place they confiscate it. Telling me that carrying a locking blade knife in the UK is illegal. This starts the ongoing saga of trying to get my property back. As of Friday still no luck but I'm working on it. But I'm not confident I will be able to recover it. Anyway, the experience on the Eye was enjoyable for Kay. I was very angry so my time on the Eye was not very enjoyable.

After this trip, we went to the Kennington, London Police Station to inquire about my options for retrieving my knife, no luck but more information. Next we went to the American Embassy. Not much help there as well but again more information.

From there we went to Harrods Department Store. I personally thought is a waste of time but Bonnie and Kay enjoyed the experience, I think. They bought some souvenirs for people back home. We had lunch there as well but there a much better lunches to be had in the area of Harrods for probably half the money. Just an example of the prices, a dinner salad or side salad cost £ 7.50, a 300 ml bottle of Coke is £ 4, and a cheeseburger is £ 18. I personally think that is outrageous, but then what do I know? My brother marveled at the price of an "ugly" sculpture that was selling for £ 240,000. I guess some people have money to burn. They do have very beautiful things sitting beside the ugly things as well. But the ugliest thing about the store is their prices.

We stopped on the way home to buy some groceries and had caribou sausage, Alaska, and boar sausage, UK, for dinner with stir fried vegatables. A nice quiet evening at Mel's and then we were off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment