Friday, June 21, 2013

June 20 -- St. Pauls Cathedral & Westminster Abbey


We had eggs and left over sausage from breakfast this morning, yummy. Mel set-up and order form for a local grocery to have a delivery made on Friday. The list was quite extensive and included beer and wine for a solstice party on Saturday evening. Got that all figured out and submitted and tomorrow will stay close by so they can deliver the groceries between 11 and 12.

That done and off we went to St. Paul's Cathedral. Took the tube right to St. Paul's station. The cathedral is really spectacular. We were given a player and headphones as part to the admission. The players were very nice and gave a lot of information about the cathedral you would not get just browsing around. While we were there there was a young people's choir from Singapore that performed. Their 40 minute or so concert was really good. All of the pieces they did were contemporary and I like more "traditional" sacred music but that's me. They were really good! We had lunch here as well. Lunch was reasonably priced and tasty.

We walked around in the crypt for a while. Watched a portion of the movie they show. The format of the movie is something I have not seen before. It takes a long time to go from subject to subject so the movie is probably much longer than it need be. Of course it may be designed that way so you move on after a short period. The different way the vaults and "tombs" are done in the crypt is quite interesting.
There a some vaults that have been there for a long time.

I was feeling poorly, so instead of accompanying the "gang" to Westminster Abbey I went back to Mel's by my self. Remembered the way without a problem. When I got back to Mel's I laid down and woke up at 10 PM. I guess my problem was that I was tired.

The reports that Westminster Abbey was very nice and enjoyable. I have been there before and was truly amazed at all of the things commemorated in the abbey. Since I didn't make the trip this time and the report was sketchy there won't be any more about the abbey in this entry.

The saga of property recovery continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment